Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Quack quack

And so begins our very long trip home. If all goes according to plan, we should be home by 7:00 tonight. But first, lets recap our big day in Seattle.

Yesterday morning, Ryan and I spoiled ourselves with room service and breakfast in bed. I've never ordered room service before so it certainly was a treat. Scrambled eggs, toast, pancakes, potatoes, and orange juice, with tiny ketchup and jam bottles. I almost took one to bring home and looking back, I should have.

After breakfast we headed down toward Pike Place Market for our behind the scenes food tour. We met our group at market theater which had gum all pver the wall outside from people to had to get rid of it before going into the theatre. Our tour guide, Brad, took us to about 7 or 8 of the best shops in the market and allowed us to cut the line to sample their goods. We tasted tea from Market Spice, smoked Salmon from the Fish Market, chowder from Pike Place Chowder, and a crab cake from Etta's, to name a few. We got to see the men at the fish market throw a 15 lb salmon across the display cases. During the tour, we also stopped in front of the first Starbucks which had a line about 100 people long. Not sure why people think that coffee from that location will be any different than any of the other 170 Starbucks in Seattle, and yes there are 170 Starbucks in Seattle.

Next we walked over to the Space Needle and I "manned up" and rode the elevator to the top. I did it with my eyes closed but did it nonetheless. Once at the top, the view was amazing. You could see both the Cascade and Olympic mountain ranges, and all across the city. Included with our space needle ticket was the Chihuly blown glass exhibit. I was dying to go to this because I have seen Chihuly's work before. He made the beautiful glass ceilings in the Bellagio in Las Vegas and has a few pieces in the Borgata in Atlantic City. Chihuly's artwork really is amazing. His use of color and space is incredible. I know I sound like an art snob but his art brings it out in me.

We then quickly headed across the street to Ride the Ducks. This 2 hour tour in an amphibious vehicle drives you all around the city giving history and pointing out landmarks then drives straight in to the water and boats around for a great lake view of the city. While in the water, we saw the floating house used in Sleepless in Seattle, which of course thrilled me to no end.

Finally, we hopped in a cab and visited the Seattle Public Library. I was excited for this part of our journey because I had heard so many things about the architecture and modern design. The escalators were lit up bright yellow and floors 7 through 10 were spiraled rows of books you could continuously walk through.

By this point my legs were about to fall off from all the walking but we had a 1 mile walk back to the hotel. Luckily, to take my mind off my feet, we had a beautiful sunset over the Olympic mountains to watch on the walk back.

This trip has been one Ill never forget. I am so thankful for the opportunity to travel and thankful for someone to share it with.











No comments:

Post a Comment